A+ | A- | Reset
Criminal Injuries Compensation Print E-mail

The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority is a government organisation that can pay money (compensation) to people who have been physically or mentally injured because they were the innocent victim of a violent crime.

They provide a free service to victims of violent crime. CICA know that they can never fully compensate them, but can recognise their suffering and give them some financial support that may help them move on.

Development workers can support you to complete Criminal Injuries Compensation claims.

Victim Support Scotland

Victim Support Scotland (www.victimsupportsco.org.uk) is the lead voluntary organisation in Scotland helping people affected by crime. It provides emotional support, practical help and essential information to victims, witnesses and others affected by crime. The service is free, confidential and is provided by volunteers through a network of community based victim and youth justice services and court based witness services.

The Witness Service offers:

  • A court based service
  • Practical help
  • Information on court procedures
  • A familiarisation visit to the court
  • Guidance regarding further support
  • A listening ear for your anxieties/concerns

The Witness Service does not:

  • Discuss evidence
  • Provide nursing care or a child minding service
  • Provide financial assistance
  • Provide transport

If you are attending court, you may find it helpful to bring:

  • A friend or relative
  • Your citation, if you received one
  • Something to read or do, as there may be delays
  • Money for lunch, bus fares etc

If you are called to court as a witness, you can claim expenses, such as:

  • Travel expenses
  • Loss of earnings
  • Essential child care costs (fixed rate)
  • Possible lunch expenses

Expenses are subject to upper limits. You can find out more about the amounts available and how to claim from the Procurator Fiscal if you are a prosecution witness or the solicitor who cited you if you are a defence witness. Contact details can be found on your citation or contact your local Witness Service office.